Clipperton Finance, in partnership with Digimind, releases its first European Innovation Financing newsletter covering Q4 2012 and Q1 2013.
Click here to download the newsletter:
Clipperton European Innovation Financing
Leveraging data provided by WhoGotFunded.com, the new Digimind product monitoring worldwide funding activity, Clipperton Finance has analyzed the financing trends amongst European innovative companies in the last 6 months (Q4 2012 / Q1 2013). This first paper will be followed by quarterly or bi-annual newsletters, with the aim to provide the European ecosystem (entrepreneurs, investors, public-decision makers) with a detailed view of the financing trends in innovation per country, sector, stage etc.
Digimind, the leading provider of competitive intelligence and social marketing software, developed the WhoGotFunded.com online database to track all new funding deals across the world in real time, by leveraging its expertise in web mining and artificial intelligence. Clipperton Finance has used its intimate knowledge of the European technology ecosystem to filter the European financing deals in order to focus on “innovative companies”. This open definition covers three large sectors (IT, Life Sciences & Cleantech), is applied to all European countries & Russia, and excludes majority deals, M&A, project financing and IPO / public fundraising. The result is a bottom-up quantitative analysis of the in-flow of money towards the European private companies operating in the technology space.
Key takeaways from this Q4 2012 / Q1 2013 report include:
- $1.4bn have been invested into European Technology start-ups during the first quarter of 2013, which is roughly 4 times less than in the US;
- IT dominates with two thirds of overall investment value in Q1 2013. Within IT, Consumer Internet is the #1 investment segment in Europe;
- UK is the top investment destination, followed by France and Germany at comparable levels;
- The value per deal analysis shows some signs of polarization: a few ‘mega-deals’ over $50m, still a good level of activity in Seed and in the $1-5m range, while Series B/C+ and acceleration deals ($5-30m) are scarce;
- Consumer Internet deals are growing in value, but exhibit a low median value per deal ($1.7m);
- The Cleantech start-ups seem to be experiencing a severe financing crunch…but Q1 2013 was much better than the end of 2012.
Thibaut Revel, Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Antoine Ganancia, Associate, email@example.com
Martin Vielle, Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org
Philippe Rolet, Product Manager, email@example.com
About Clipperton Finance
Clipperton is a leading European corporate finance boutique exclusively dedicated to the High Tech and Media industries. Clipperton advises high growth companies on financial transactions, fundraisings, capital increases or Mergers and Acquisitions. With teams based in London, Berlin and Paris and an international reach, Clipperton is a recognized leader in the sector.
About Digimind and WhoGotFunded.com
Digimind is a SaaS intelligence software company based in Paris, Boston and Singapore, providing advanced information management platforms and technologies that perform massive data collection, automatic intelligence extraction and visualisation. Using its unique web mining expertise, Digimind developed WhoGotFunded.com, the world’s most comprehensive funding database, discovering over 100 fresh funding deals every day in real time all across the world.